|1. Choose a logical verb with the correct form of the verb to be for the sentence in present progressive.
"He __a magazine."
A) are singing B) is dancing C) is reading D) am eating.
2. Is it possible to distinguish in the third person if the verb is regular or irregular? A) It's possible to do it only if it's affirmative or negative B) It's possible to distinguish them only in the first person C) It's impossible to distinguish them, no matter what the form is D) It's possible if you observe the auxiliary of the sentence.
3. Read this sentence: Mary works. Change it to present progressive in the next forms:
A) 1- Mary is working, 2- Mary is not working, 3- Is Mary working? B) 1- Mary is work, 2- Mary is not work, 3- Is Mary work? C) 1- Mary working, 2- Mary not working, 3- Mary working? D) 1- Mary does work, 2- Mary doesn't work, 3- Does Mary work?.
4. What's the gramatically correct answer to the following question?
"What were you doing yesterday at 3 PM?"
A) I did not work on my PC B) I was working on my PC C) I were working on my PC D) I have worked on my PC.
5. Match the numbers of the left column with the letters of the right column to create logical and correct sentences. A) [1-g] [2-a] [3-f] [4-h] B) [1-e] [2-d] [3-f] [4-c] C) [1-g] [2-d] [3-b] [4-h] D) [1-e] [2-a] [3-b] [4-c].
6. Write a sentence in past with "In the end". Use the verb in parentheses.
"We had a lot of problems with our car." (sell)
A) In the end we sells it B) In the end we sold it C) in the end we selled it D) In the end we sell it.
7. In the next sentence, identify the verb type, not the tense of conjugation.
I see movies every Saturday with my friends.
A) Irregular B) Perfect C) Present D) Regular.
8. We call them regular verbs because the past tense of each is formed by adding "ed" to the end of the verb.
But some verbs have many different ways of forming the past tense, because there is no regular pattern, these verbs are kown as irregular verbs.
Change to past tense the following verbs:
choose, weep, like, beat, drive, fly
A) chose, wept, liked, beated, drived, flew B) choose, weped, liked, beat, drove, flew C) chose, weped, liked, beated, wrote, flyed D) chose, wept, liked, beat, drove, flew.
9. Choose the correct form of the adjective in parenthesis for each of the following sentences.
1. "This is (cheap, cheaper, cheapest) than that one", said the seller.
2. Today there are (nice, nicer, nicest) people than yesterday.
3. Sorry, teacher, could you tell me who the (smarter, smartest, most smart) pupil in your class is?
4. There is no doubt about it. She is the (better, best, more good).
A) 1-cheap /2-nice / 3-smarter / 4-more good B) 1-cheapest/2-nice / 3- most smart/4-best C) 1-cheaper / 2-nicest / 3-smartest/4-better D) 1-cheaper/2-nicer / 3-smartest/4-best.
10. Choose the correct plural noun for the following sentence.
"The Sánchez have eight_____”
A) child B) childrens C) childs D) children.
11. Choose the sentences that use the plural noun correctly..
1. My dog has three foots.
2. Three mans work hard.
3. These children are nice.
4. I have some mice in my house.
5. My father has a lot of moneys.
A) 1, 2,5 B) 3. 4. 5 C) 1.2 D) 3.4.
12. Rewrite the following sentence using plural nouns and change the number 1 to the number 100.
"In the farm we have 1 goose."
A) In the farm we have one hundred geese B) In the farm we have one hundred gesse C) In the farm we have one hundred gooses D) In the farm we have one hundred goose.
13. Choose the correct words to complete the following sentence:
Javier has _____ books on his desk, but Sandra doesn’t have ____ books on her desk.
A) some - some B) much - many C) many - much D) some - any.
14. Choose the correct past form of the verb to be for the sentence.
- They ____ at the soccer game."
A) is B) was C) were D) are.
15. Why is the following sentence incorrect?:
"Too much mouses threatens public health"
A) Because the plural of "mouse" is "mice". The verb is not used in the correct form. We don't use "much" with countable nouns B) Because "many" should be used with "mouses" and the verb should be "threaten" C) Because the plural of "mouse" is "mice. Changing that would make the sentence correct D) Because "...may mouses threaten..." should be used in order to have coherence with the interrogative, the plural and the verb .
16. Is this question correct or not? Why?
"Did she tell you what time did the last train leave?"
A) It's correct because we use the auxiliary "did" before the subject, then followed by the correct form of the verb without "to", to ask two questions about the past B) It's incorrect because "what time" is not an appropriate time expression and we can't use it in the middle of the sentence C) It's incorrect because in an embedded question after the Wh word we can't use another auxiliary before the subject, the second sentence has to be affirmative or negative D) It's incorrect because you can't use "did" two times in the same sentence, even if it's interrogative, only if it's a verb.
17. Choose a logical verb in past for the sentence.
*Roberto ____ a job in Arizona”
A) played B) drank C) ran D) got.
18. Choose whether the underlined word in the sentence is a subject pronoun, object pronoun, possessive pronoun or predicate nominative.
Maria and Tomás helped us.
A) Object pronoun B) Predicate nominative C) Subject pronoun D) Possessive pronoun.
19. Which object pronoun can substitute the underlined phrase in the sentence?
Can you tell the people the way to the train station?
A) him B) it C) her D) them.
20. Explain if the object pronoun in the following sentence is correct or not:
"People all over the world are claiming for a lot more freedom of expression for it"
A) It's incorrect. "People" is singular and the object pronoun is "us" B) It's totally correct. "People" is singular, so the object pronoun is "it" C) It's incorrect. "People" is plural, and the correct object pronoun is "them" D) It's incorrect. "People" is plural and the object pronoun is "theirs".
21. Complete the sentences with an object pronoun according to the context: A) [1-them] [2-it] [3-him] [4-her] B) [1-them] [2-them] [3-him] [4-she] C) [1-they] [2-it] [3-he] [4-she] D) [1-they] [2-him] [3-he] [4-her].
22. Match the questions with HOW on the left, with their corresponding answers on A) [1-e] [2-b.d] B) [1-c] [2-a,d] C) [1-e] [2-a.b.d] D) [1-c] [2-a,b,d].
23. Rewrite the sentence using the simple future tense:
"Juan is an expert on using computers". A) Juan be an expert on using computers B) Juan will an expert on using computers C) Juan is being an expert on using computers D) Juan will be an expert on using computers.
24. Read the sentence and choose which answer is the correct one for this situation.
You arranged to play tennis today.
Now you decide that you don't want to play.
A) I don't think I'll play tennis today B) I won't play tennis today C) I don't want to play tennis today D) I will not play tennis today.
25. Rewrite the sentence using the simple future tense
"I am a teacher".
A) I will a teacher B) I was a teacher C) I will be a teacher D) I will be teaching.
26. Choose one option to complete the expression below:
"I'm a little worried. She's 2 hours late. Why______she______so late?"
A) won't - be B) will - to be C) would - to be D) would - be.
27. What's the right short answer for this?
"Would you like to go to the movies next weekend?"
A) No, I would not like B) No, I wouldn't C) No, I would not D) No, I wouldn't like.
Read the text below and answer the following questions with complete sentences.
1. First Novelist of the Millenium
2. Some of Japan's oldest books were written by women..
3. Since noblewoman were frequently well educated,
4. many wrote diaries, personal memories, poetry and stories.
5. Following her husband's death in 1000 AD,
6. Lady Murasaki Shikibu moved into the emperor's court.
7. Using her observations of court life, she wrote a new kind
8. of book with realistic characters and plots. Her fifty four
9. chapter masterpiece is called The Tale of Gengi and is
10. considered the world's first novel. The book tells the
11. story of the adventures and love affairs of a handsome
12. young noble man.
28. According to the text, who wrote the first novel of the millenium?
A) The Emperor's court B) Lady Murasaka Shikibu C) The Tale of Gengi D) Japanese women.
29. Change the sentence in lines 7 and 8 "She wrote a new kind of book" to past continuous.
She___a new kind of book.
A) was writing B) hadn't written C) had written D) has written.
30. According to the text, what is the main idea about Japanese noble-women?
A) always more bored B) well educated C) the most obedient to their husbands D) waiting for her husbands.